Thank you for your inquiry about employment opportunities with the Troy-Miami County Public Library.
Troy-Miami County Public Library is hiring part-time public services associates primarily to work nights and Saturdays. Other hours may be available as well. Salary starts at $10.50/hour.
Please fill out the employment application and return to DeMarcus Moody at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received before July 17 will receive priority.
Job Title: Public Services Associate
Department: Public Services
Immediate Supervisor: Public Services Senior Manager
Under the general direction of the Public Services Senior Manager, this position provides excellent customer service by assisting in the day-to-day operation of the public services desks on the phone or in person.
• Check in and check out of materials.
• Assists patrons in locating appropriate library materials and responds to questions. Provides basic information about the collection.
• Able to give instruction on the online card catalog, the Internet, databases, self-check machines, MeeScan app, and other library equipment.
• Issue library cards, collect fees, assist with opening and closing procedures, and verify building occupancy as needed.
• Must be able to follow COVID-19 safety procedures and policies.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Must be able to work nights and weekends.
• Ability to read, write, and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to alphabetize and file.
• Knowledge of and interest in library materials. Ability to meet and serve the public effectively with the resources available in the library.
• Ability to make decisions within stated guidelines.
• Ability to meet, communicate, and deal with people effectively and in a pleasant manner.
• Must have excellent knowledge of computers and the internet.
• Collaborative attitude and creative solutions, with a win-win disposition and a sense of humor.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
• Ability to operate standard office equipment, daily.
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time, occasionally.
• Ability to lift and move a minimum of 40 pounds, occasionally.
• Ability to push book trucks with materials on them, occasionally.
• Ability to perform repeated reaching, bending, climbing and squatting, daily.
• Ability to work in a team setting.
• Requires availability for extended hours as needed, including occasional nights and weekends.
• Requires regular participation and attendance at events and trainings
• Requires ability to travel to off‐site locations, occasionally.
• Attendance and reliability: Demonstrates reliability by arriving to work, meetings and appointments on time and by completing assignments in expected time frames.
• Customer Service: Strives to maintain positive internal and external customer service relationships. Represents the library in an appropriate manner when dealing with staff, managers, vendors, contractors, colleagues, and members of the public.
• Diversity: Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their cultural background, status, lifestyle choices, or position.
• Initiative: Seeks increased responsibilities. Takes independent actions. Asks for and offers help when needed. Displays original thinking and creativity.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by an individual working in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job‐related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.