The first free public library in Troy, Ohio was organized in 1896 by members of the Alturian Club. City council set aside a room in the city building for library use. Soon the collection grew to occupy the entire first floor of the building.
In 1942 the late Mary Jane Hayner bequeathed her home for educational use, and the library moved there in 1943. As the collection size grew and the circulation increased, the library began to outgrow the stately Hayner Mansion.
Ground breaking for a new library building began November 27, 1974. Materials were moved into the new library on February 14, 1976, with dedication of the building taking place on May 15.
The Troy-Miami County Public Library now serves an area of 42,000 Ohio residents. In addition to books and magazines, the library provides DVDs, audiobooks, and even art prints. Public computers are available with internet access and wireless access to the Internet is available for those with laptops. Meeting rooms are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Forty employees staff the main library, the Oakes-Beitman branch in Pleasant Hill, the Local History Library, and the bookmobile.